Tuesday 23 February 2010

Of an interview, a passion, and of hope for good news.

Today I was fortunate enough to attend an interview at a local firm of solicitors. The building was the first thing to make an impression; after the succession of tiled steps which led up to a brightly painted front door, I found myself standing in a huge hallway under the austere gaze of a man painted in oil and framed in ornate gold. I was shown to the waiting room. It represented perfectly what I had always wanted in a house of my own one day; antique deep red leather chairs, with varying hues across the seat and arms from years of wear, and a towering oak cabinet with glass windows filled with dusty law books, all red and green bound, and with gold writing gleaming on their spines.
The silence of the building hung as gracefully as the painting in the hallway; and, such is the same within many Courtrooms and Solicitor's offices, the dark oak, the red leather, the oil paintings and the smell of dust all amalgamated so as to inspire me to sit up straight and improve my posture considerably for the sake of some unseen disciplinarian. In an environment such as this infused with venerableness - in which I have found myself working in at various times of my life -one could be forgiven for thinking the year 1710, 1810, or 1910; and this is one of the little lascivious things I cherish about the Legal profession, at least in terms of the offices I have worked in. In my opinion, one is very lucky to work in an atmosphere such as this.
The rich and detailed history of Law are inescapable, especially in such surroundings; and, very much like the gentleman watching from the confines of his golden frame, one is humbled by the grace, regality and time-honored traditions of such a fine art.

0 comments:

Post a Comment