Tuesday 4 October 2011

Oh frabjous day, calloo callay! Happy Birthday Buster!


No, it's not by me, but I love this poem and it springs to mind today, October 4th, when in 1895 one of the greatest talents this world has seen was born. I am slightly biased, because he has had me spellbound since I was a 14 year old school girl; but let's ignore that for now. All you need to know is that he was one of the greatest film makers of all time, a lovely person - and today is his birthday!

A BIRTHDAY

by: Christina Rossetti (1830-1894)

      Y heart is like a singing bird
      Whose nest is in a water'd shoot;
      My heart is like an apple-tree
      Whose boughs are bent with thick-set fruit;
      My heart is like a rainbow shell
      That paddles in a halcyon sea;
      My heart is gladder than all these,
      Because my love is come to me.

      Raise me a daïs of silk and down;
      Hang it with vair and purple dyes;
      Carve it in doves and pomegranates,
      And peacocks with a hundred eyes;
      Work it in gold and silver grapes,
      In leaves and silver fleurs-de-lys;
      Because the birthday of my life
      Is come, my love is come to me.



1 comments:

John Baker's Bl0g said...

beau-tiful poemz babe xx please come see my blog, really into the twenties and high-culture also, found some brilliant works by a certain 'Lady' x

johnbakersblog.blogspot.com

Post a Comment